[Tutor] [Q] using IDLE in redhat

Young-Jin Lee ylee12@uiuc.edu
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:24:59 -0600

Hi, I'm new to redhat and I'm looking for a help on how to use IDLE in
redhat.
I installed Python 2.2 the other day and tried to learn IDLE by typing it
"idle", but it didn't work at all.
I thought I should add a path to the idle so I added
"PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/python2.2/Tools; export PATH".
But when I typed "idle" at my home directory, I got "bash:idle: command not
found". I have never used bash shell. (I have used csh in IRIX, but I
decided to use bash because bash seems to be a standard in Linux).
When I tried it with a full path, "/usr/lib/python2.2/Tools/idle/idle", I
got the following python exception.
Traceback (innermost last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/Tools/idle/idle", line 5, in ?
        from idlelib import IdleConf
ImportError: No module named idlelib

The configuration seems to be not correct, but I have no idea. Is there a
good tutorial or guide on how to use IDLE in redhat (or Linux)?

Thanks in advance.

YJ