[Tutor] obfusciated python

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:17:56 -0000

> of me called "Learn to Program Using Python". It's got the
> same mumbo jumbo : "You set it by opening C:\AUTOEXE.BAT
> in Notepad and adding the line SET..."

Yeah, but it also says a pre-requisite to read the book is
that you know the basics of operating a computer and if not
to look up things in your computer's manual... Setting
environment variables comes under that heading. :-)

> I also must have the first edition because it's full of
> typos and errors, almost unusable.

Hmm, I wouldn't go that far, most are simple spelling
mistakes and minor layout errors during typesetting
- Warning to wannabe authors: Python is much more
sensitive to that than other programming languages
because of not having block markers:

int hello(){
   printf('hello world\n');
  return 0;
}

is a minor typo in a C book but the equivalent
one-space error is a disaster in a Python book! :-(

However the errata page at:

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/book/

Should list and fix most (all?) of them.

> Lucky for me I found "How to think like..."  on a website.

Yes that's a good resource too although it doesn't cover
as much material as my tutor does (especially the book
version).

> This is my first post and I've made it up to filters and
> strings in my studies. Next will be objects.

Feel free to ask questions we're all here to help.

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site