[Tutor] Python implementation of Unix tools

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:05:16 -0000

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 02:09:14PM +0000, Prahlad Vaidyanathan wrote:
> > I noticed that there was a very nice project called 'Perl
> Power Tools',

> > I was wondering if there is a similar project under Python.

There is but I've forgotten the name.
It actually is slightly different in that it aims
to build the standard unix(posix?) tools in python.
There is a nice paper somewhere explaining why they
chose python over perl/tcl  (large project support
mainly).

Why are they doing this when cygwin does a similar job?
Well, python is portable to a much wider platform range...

I think it's on source-forge somewhere.

Alan G