[Tutor] 'File' utility for python?

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:56:32 -0500

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 06:06:10PM -0700, VanL wrote:
| Hello,
|
| Does anyone know of a python utility that can do the same thing as the
| unix utility 'file'?

No, but I think there is a library that could probably be wrapped, or
'file' can be run in a pipe and the output looked at.

| I need to figure out if something is non-destructively editable (i.e.,
| text) before I run a search-and replace on it.

Do a search for anything that is not in the US-ASCII printable range.
That will likely suffice.

if re.search( "[^[:alnum:][:space:][:punct:]]" , <your text> ) :
    print "not plain ascii"
else :

-D

--