[Tutor] Help, for I have lost the PATH

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:02:04 -0000

> I cannot seem to get the path right so that python can find
> modules I have written.

OK, the one we need to worry about is PYTHONPATH
(BTW Have you tried setting the path.py(or was it
python.pth?) file, someone mentioned this as an
alternative tecnique that sounded good.)

> keep my python programs and stuff in c:\stuff
>
>    I have set the path in my autoexec as follows:
> PATH C:\python20;%PATH%

This is odd coz the rest of Path isn't defined
except for the default values

> SET PYTHONPATH=.;C:\Python20\lib;c:\Python20\lib\tkinter;c:\stuff

This looks OK to me.

> SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

This is even wierder coz you replace the previous value of PATH with this
which includes 2 folders twice!

Try:

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PYTHON20;%PATH%

and remove the top line.

....< snip other irrelevant stuff>....

But the PYTHONPATH line looks OK.
What error do you get exactly?

> SET
> PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMA
> ND;C:\python20;%PATH%

Closer but still duplicates entries.

> SET PYTHONPATH=.;C:\Python20\lib;c:\Python20\lib\tkinter;c:\stuff

Still right.

Alan g