[Tutor] help making my ftp script more pythony

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 22:36:41 -0800 (PST)

> def CallBak(DirString):
>     Path = DirString[56:]
>     # print Path
>     PathList.append(Path)
>     return

an empty return has no point

>#Connect to host
> try:
>     ftp = ftplib.FTP('ftpav.cai.com')
> except ftplib.all_errors, e:
>     print e

you do not actually handle any of these exceptions, you just print.  I more
typical python app would likely wrap this whole block in a single exception,
perhaps withing a loop

> if os.path.isfile(TempPath+"\\"+FileName):
>      try:
>           os.remove(TempPath+"\\"+FileName) #it's a file, delete it
>      except:
>           #probably failed because it is not a normal file
>           win32api.SetFileAttributes(TempPath+"\\"+FileName,
> win32con.FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL)
>           os.remove(TempPath+"\\"+FileName) #it's a file, delete it

use os.path.join(), makes the code a lot clearer.

  filename = os.path.join(TempPath, Filename)