[Tutor] is "fold" same as "reduce"?

Karthik Gurumurthy karthikg@aztec.soft.net
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:43:17 +0530

> ###
> def filter(test_f, l):
    def func(x, y):
        if test_f(y):
            return x + [y]
        return x
    return reduce(func, [[]] + l)
###

This one was good. Of the 3, I found reduce a bit tricky to use though.

>    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-prog.html
>    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-prog2.html
>    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-prog3.html

Yeah i was referring to the same set of articles.
This one from IBM site for haskell by mertz
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/linux-onlinecourse-bytit
le/9A31A3C4A0CE683E86256AD400822942?OpenDocument

> If you're interested in functional programming, you might want to look at
> the Haskell web site:

>    http://www.haskell.org/

Just downloaded it. Am actually looking to pick up good functional
programming skills and apply
the same in Python. So am not sure if i have to start off with learning
haskell for that.

By the way the Scheme introduction talk (the link which you had sent
earlier) along with presentation slides was great.Especially the way, the
topic was presented was neat.

>You may also find this link handy: I just found it on Google, and it looks
>like good stuff:

>    http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~rjmh/tutorials.html

yeah it seems useful.

thanks