[Tutor] learner

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:34:13 +0100

On  0, Nigel Bennett <nidge@iprimus.com.au> wrote:
> to whom it may concern,
> i would like to know how to write a program.

That's good!

> i am relatively new to computers and have no prior programming experience.

To be honest, if you are not yet comfortable just using a computer for many
things, it may be hard to start programming immediately.

Things like using the Internet, an editor, the Windows Explorer, maybe
knowing how to do some DOS commands, installing software, in general feel
comfortable using your computer.

After that, you can learn how to program. It helps if you have a more
precise goal though. Are you trying to get a job in programming? Anything
specific you want to build? Is it just an intellectual challenge?

There are several tutorials for beginners. You can find a list at
http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html .

I usually recommend Alan Gauld's tutor, since he is also on this list and if
you don't understand something or if I think something needs changing, we
can bug him with emails :-)
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/

> i would like to know if python is a good place to begin and why?

Yes, it is a good place to begin. A full explanation would be very long,
involve comparisons with other languages and go much too far.

The three main points, for me:
- Python is intentionally beginner friendly. That was a design goal.
- Python is very powerful. Lots of different things are easy to do.
- Python has this mailing list.

> what type of applications can the python language be used for?

Huge applications will not be made in pure Python, but may use Python in
earlier stages or as an embedded language. Very low-level OS stuff will also
not be in Python, but rather in C or C++, usually.

Everything in between is fair game. Games, internet utilities, little GUIs,
math, working with images, etc etc.

--
Remco Gerlich