[Tutor] Need help with dict.calculation

Eve Kotyk e.kotyk@shaw.ca
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:17:30 +0000

Thanks Danny,
> ###
> def get_total_calories():
>     print "Enter all foods you have eaten today."
>     more=""
>     total_calories = {}              ## <--- here's the change

Well that makes total sense, and I didn't have it defined properly.  Its
still not working but I'm going
to continue withit for awhile.  Want thing I do seem to be gifted with
is persistence.

>     while more != "n":
>          items, portion, cal_portion = gather_data()
>          total_calories[items] = portion * cal_portion
>          more = raw_input("Do you want to continue? y/n: ")
>     for i in total_calories.values():
>          total = total + i
>     print "Total calories: ", total

This is giving me the total only of the last item entered.  In another
version I'm at least getting a total for each item entered.

You know I can visualize this so well but I just don't know how to say:
Look at each item see what values it has and add up all those values in
to one number..in Python.