[Tutor] [Tutor]: Totally laughable basic questions

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:54:17 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Wesley Chun wrote:

> > What is more embarrassing (for me at least) is knowing when (AND
> WHY!) to > use a dictionary, a tuple, a string object, etc. > And when
> (AND WHY!) to slice, dice, concatenate, or otherwise fr*g with the >
> contents of these groups.
>
> good question.  software engineers are just problem-solvers and these
> are the tools they can use to help them achieve their goals.  as

By the way, if you see a bit of code that looks totally weird, if it's
short, please feel free to post it to Tutor and ask questions about it.
We'd be happy to talk about the code, and guess why the author chose a
certain data structure over another.

> un4tunately, these things take time and experience for which there is
> no experience for.  i would suggest you take a few simple problems and
> use Python to help solve them.  that will give you a quick-start on
> the road to programming!!

Fiddling around with examples should be very helpful.  There's a lot of
sample code that we can grab, and we can do experiments with it.  There's
a lot of good code in Useless Python:

    http://lowerstandard.com/python

so take something that looks interesting to you, and see if it makes sense
inside.

> > Maybe Python-Tutor is not the place for these type of questions, and if
> > so, I apologise. If some kind soul out in Pythonland is aware of
> > completely pre-basic tutors that can help me out with various elementary
> > programming concepts I would be most grateful.

No, no, please feel free to ask your questions on Tutor.  If you notice
that the traffic on Tutor is getting very "theoretical", that just
probably means that we're hoping that someone will step in and tell us
that we're not making any sense.  *grin*

Anyway, hope to hear from you soon.  Good luck!