[Tutor] date and time variables

mikalzet@libero.it mikalzet@libero.it
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:05:25 +0100 (CET)

All right, I'm just toying around with my idea (see my previous post on
starting a new project).

So I wrote a very rudimentary piece of code:

class Shift:

    def __init__(self, name="None", worker="None", begin="None", end="None"):
        self.name = name
        self.worker = worker
        self.begin = begin
        self.end = end

    def __str__(self):
        return str(self.name) + "\n" + str(self.worker)  + "\n" + str(self.begin) + " - " + str(self.end)

    def hours(self):
        return abs(self.begin - self.end)

Which works if I call it as follows:

newshift = Shift("PN Int mt.","ALZ", 8, 14)
print newshift
print newshift.hours()

However !

My PostgreSQL table at the moment looks something like this:

Field		Variable type

Name		text
Begin		datetime
End		datetime
worker		char

datetime formats like this:

2002-01-28 14:00:00

I chose datetime instead of an int type variable because I'm sure to need
actual time measurements in future.

Now for the questions:

1) How can I get my Shift class to handle this type of data ? Is there an
analogous data type in python ? Or do I have to 'translate' data to a
different type when reading / writing to postgres ?
2) Where can I find documentation on how to interact with postgres from
python ?

--
Michele Alzetta