[Tutor] Suitable (not suitable), for Python...

Michael P. Reilly arcege@speakeasy.net
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:04:37 -0500

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 04:24:34PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 12:33:10AM -0600, Scott wrote:
> | I think this is covered in the docs, but I would
> | be interested in hearing real-life examples of what
> | would
>
> An application (pick your type -- gui, filter, file processor, cgi --
> basically anything high-level)
>
> | and wouldn't...
>
> A linux device driver (or anything else really low level)

Additionally, anything that requires VERY fast processing (could still be
high-level processing).  Don't try making OC3-OC48 speed network routing
software with Python (OC3 is about 155 Mbps, about 2776 times faster
than a 56K modem, OC48 is equivalent to sixteen times that).  *hehe*

I have seen very fast real-time virtual reality constructs written with
Python (at one of the Python conventions).  It was helped out with C
code for speed, but much of the actual VR code was still in Python.
The point is that, when mixed appropriately, Python can do most of what
you might want it to do.

But myself, I've written product boot software, device management software
and hardware/software upgrade mechanisms with Python (including updating
flash devices), frameworks for software and release management, call
tracking software.

  -Arcege