[Fwd: Re: [Tutor] LISP and Python]

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:37:49 +0100

On  0, Lloyd Hugh Allen <l.h.allen@verizon.net> wrote:
> One of these days I'll get a hang of the "hey, idjit, change 'To:' to
> 'tutor@python.org'" thing.

Yeah, it's irritating :(

(snipped freely below)

> > Hello Python Fans !
> >
> > I would like to know if someone of you has experience with interfacing and
> > extending Python
> > with LISP (any Lisp .. ).
> >
> > I would like to do more with Lisp but there are very few Libraries for Lisp
> > , but Python has many Libraries
> > so ...
>
> This appeared last week. Haven't looked at it, but would guess that it's
> what you seek.
> ============
> From: Danny Yoo <dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu>
> Thu 2:34 AM
> Subject: [Tutor] Learning Python using other languages --- round two
> To: tutor@python.org

> Well, I just couldn't hold back from unleashing this monstrosity.  I
> bring
> to you... Pyscheme!

This is a cool project to make a Scheme interpreter in Python, but I don't
really believe it's a good option if you want to write serious Lisp that
uses the Python libraries :-)

I don't know much about Lisp. I suppose you have to put a layer on C in
between; if you can call C functions from Lisp, you can have it run the
Python interpreter to make library calls. But it's not going to be much fun,
I think.

Are you sure there aren't many libraries for Lisp? I had expected it to have
lots. Maybe only commercial or not all those newfangled Internet protocols...

A Google search turns up nothing useful for me right now.

--
Remco Gerlich