[Tutor] my pet project (long)

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:23:32 -0000

Some initial ideas....

> program that allows me to maintain  players' ranking

players => a list of some kind
ranking => sorting said list according to some criteria

Fortunately the list class contains a methjod to sort contents.
Better still it allows us to pass in a selection function
to control how the sort operates.

> duplicate games and use a designated program to score these
> games. Among other things it creates text files

Need to read files, extract the info needed and create list

readlines(), string.split(), and maybe string.strip()
should come in handy.

> -    how to use this individual player result to update the ranking
> table/file? This would take:
>      -    player's current ranking (first entry = 50.00),
>      -    partner's current ranking,
>      -    last game Pct for this pair, and maybe
>      -    the average ranking of all players in the game.

This needs to be turned into the selection function passed
to sort()

> I want to include the last 8 games in these calculations
> and produce a current club ranking list for players that
> participated at least in 4 out of the last 8 games.

Lets leave this bit till we get the other stuff working?

> would appreciate any advice from you.

Some pointers for places to look, I'm sure others will
go further :-)

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site