[Fwd: Re: [Tutor] When you write the script how is it interpreted?]

Paul Sidorsky paulsid@shaw.ca
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:32:10 -0700

Whoops, I knew some day I'd reply to the wrong list...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Tutor] When you write the script how is it interpreted?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:31:39 -0700
From: Paul Sidorsky <paulsid@shaw.ca>
To: "python-list@python.org" <python-list@python.org>

"McCarney, James Alexander" wrote:

> This is something I have wondered. When I write a script and Py interprets
> it, how does Py compile it?

This doesn't seem too clear.  If you mean how the syntax and stuff is
processed, the language reference is probably where you should go:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/ref/ref.html

If you mean how things actually work internally, then you probably
should start with the docs for the dis module:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-dis.html

(Specifically, the byte code reference might be useful.)

> Could anyone direct me to some FAQs or really high-level dirt on the matter.

The above aren't all that high-level but you probably aren't going to
find much better since this kind of thing isn't exactly an area of
general interest.

Paul Sidorsky                                          Calgary, Canada
paulsid@shaw.ca                        http://members.shaw.ca/paulsid/