[Tutor] Re: [Tutor]Upgrading python, Gadfly and Zope

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 01:24:47 -0500

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:59:07AM +0800, Paul Hartley wrote:
| I have python 2.0 and need to upgrade to 2.2 (according to the
| version of Gadfly I just downloaded), do I uninstall 2.0 first or
| just install 2.2 on top of 2.0?=20

If you don't want to keep 2.0, I recommend uninstalling it first
(if you're on windows;  windows has a habit of not cleaning up).

| Zope has its own version of python, so now I have two versions, can
| I upgrade the version in the zope directory too or do I need to
| update the whole of zope (I know this is  azope question, but it is
| python related!)

Zope requires python 2.1.3.  Unfortunately it doesn't work with 2.2
(AFAIK).  The next major release will use a newer version of python
(2.2 or more likely 2.3).
=20
| Finally, can I use the version of Gadfly that came with zope from my
| 'normal' python applications?

Sure, just copy the modules/packages to your site-packages directory.
The version in zope is somewhere in between the gadfly releases.  The
last release I saw was really old (python 1.5.2) and didn't gave
warnings on some newer pythons and didn't work on others.  The zope
people patched it up some so that it would behave on the version of
python that zope works with.  Now the gadfly creator is back in
business updating it, and I suppose a new version is available which
is what you found.

HTH,
-D

--=20

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have
told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and
prepare a place for you, I will come and take you to be with me that you
also may be where I am.
        John 14:2-3=20
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/