[Tutor] Re: Tkinter [pygame with tkinter?]

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:26:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, dominic.fox wrote:

> anyone remembers that) - but even Drawfiles let you plot sprites onto
> the screen (and, if you knew what to do with a few system calls,
> manipulate their contents too). It just seems weird to me, having used
> at least three different platforms* on which it was fairly trivial to
> plot pixels into a buffer somewhere then blit it onto the screen, that
> there isn't an obvious and accessible out-of-the-box way to do it in
> Python.

If all you want is a buffer to draw pixels, then the pygame module might
be useful:

    http://pygame.org

I've used it for small projects with graphical output, and it's not too
hard to do sprite manipulation with it.  I don't know how to incorporate a
pygame buffer with other gui widgets though, but it might be possible.

There was a thread about using Pygame's canvas with the rest of the
Tkinter widgets here:

    http://archives.seul.org/pygame/users/Nov-2001/msg00055.html

and it might be good to bring this question up on the pygame mailing list.

There's also an article about using Pygame with Tkinter on Deitel and
Deitel:

http://www.informit.com/content/index.asp?product_id={10C3A878-BEE8-47C5-9426-422E8E107D9B}&null

so at least there's some hope of this working... *grin*

Best of wishes to you!