[Tutor] Re: LHA compression

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:49:23 -0700 (PDT)

On 17-Jul-2002 Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>>       Anyways, I discovered lha is available for most linux distros (free
>>       too
>> ...does debian really have it non free ???). So I guess it's ok. Although,
>> not having to build a dependency on lha would have been nice.
>>

> non-free simply means it does not have a 100% free license.  It does not
> imply
> cost.  Without downloading it and looking at the license I could not tell you
> why.  My guess is it either has a "free for non-commerical use" or "free but
> don't change it" style license.

We have lha 1.14i.

Translated License Statement (translated by GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.org>):

   It's free to distribute on the network, but if you distribute for
   the people who cannot access the network (by magazine or CD-ROM),
   please send E-Mail (Inter-Net address) to the author before the
   distribution. That's well where this software is appeard.
   If you cannot do, you must send me the E-Mail later.

So we have permission to give it to people but no permission to modify.  The
license was originally in Japanese.

If you find some other implementation of lha someone could port it to python
or make a c wrapper.