[Tutor] From Text Editor to Interpreter

Mark Holder mark6433@hotmail.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 05:57:50 +0000

<P>Greetings from Sydney, AU.</P>
<P>I'm beginning programming (literally, starting today). I've downloaded Python 2.2 and opened the "Instant Hacking" page, written by Magnus Lie Hetland, in which the author states, </P>
<P><B class=greentext>Note</B>: To get the examples working properly, write the programs in a text file and then run that with the interpreter; do <EM>not</EM> try to run them directly in the interactive interpreter - not all of them will work. (Please don't ask me on details on this. Check the <A href="http://www.python.org/doc">documentation</A> or ask on the <A href="http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor">tutor</A> list). </P>
<P>My question is: what steps must a rank amateur take to write the programs in a text file and then run them with the interpretor? I've downloaded ConTEXT, which saves text as a Python file, but how do I run such programs as the Spam salad recipe in Python? </P>
<P>TIA,</P>