[Tutor] Python information

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:54:19 +0100

Is this a troll by any chance?? Whatever I'll bite,
the summary might be useful...

>  Python is a great program for a first programming language.

Tis true.

> Tell me why then there is only 2 tutorials on the net
> that teaches it from the beginning and assuming the
> reader has no other language experience

Tis not so. The Newbies page on the Python web site
has several tutors including my own...

> and absolutely no books that doesn't assume the
> reader knows another language.  None, zero, zip!

Again wrong. Both Ivan Laningham's "Teach Yourself
Python in 24 hours" and my own "Learn to Program
using Python" assume a complete beginner. We take
slightly different routes: Ivan concentrates on
teaching pure Python to beginners, I teach programming
using Python to illustrate the concepts. But both
are books for sure! :-)

> Every place I looked on the net (I spent 10 hrs looking)
> assumes lots of Python programming under your belt
> or that you are knowledgeable in C++ or a Linux follower.

Did you try the Python website page for non programmers?

> Why are Python programmers so selfish with their knowledge.

I'd argue that the Python community is one of the most
willing to share bodies of folks on the net. I guess
you've been looking in the wrong places!

> I like this language and would like to learn more but
> if I don't know anything how can I ask a question,
> or further my learning in Python.

Start with Danny's IDLE intro, then progress to my tutor
(or Josh's or "How to Think like..." etc) then move onto
the official tutor that comes with Python and finally
read "Dive Into Python" and Eckel's "Thinking in Python".
Then go write a program.

Each time on that journey you don't understand something
send an email to this list...

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site