[Tutor] Full screen in text mode?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:08:02 +0100

> I am undertaking a task that will (very likely) require a GUI
> if I like it enough to release it to the world.

> entire screen in text mode -- colorize printing,
> maybe have some large fonts, move about a fixed screen,
> create a few icons

Icons are tricky but the other things an be done on
Unix using curses. If you are on Windows then its harder
but you can fake some of it using ANSO codes in a DOS box.
Also using the extended character set you can draw boxes,
lines etc. (You need to load ANSI.SYS too)

However such an approach is likely to compromise your
design for when you want to add a GUI. Try to build a
vanilla text mode solution if poss then add the GUI,
forget about text mode unless you are on Unix.

Alan G.