[Tutor] Dots-And-Boxes

Paul Sidorsky paulsid@shaw.ca
Sun, 02 Jun 2002 22:56:03 -0600

Danny Yoo wrote:

> For fun, I picked up Elwyn Berlekamp's "The Dots and Boxes Game", which is
> a book about a deceptively simple game.  Here's Berlekamp's paragraph
> describing the game:
[snip]

Damn, why is it I'm always doing something when you bring up the cool
topics?  :-)

I remember this game very well, only as a solitaire version.  It came in
books with invisible ink that you had to rub a special pen over to
reveal.  Each line you picked was either broken or solid, and you had to
complete a box with a particular type of line (I believe it was solid)
to be allowed to claim the box.  It was loads of fun; I think I went
through 2 or 3 of those books.  IIRC there was also some kind of
guarantee so you could deduce something about the location of the solid
lines.  It might have been that every square had a solid line touching
it somewhere, not sure.

Anyhow, I took a look at Danny's code and Gregor's GUI front-end, looks
good!  I'll be following developments of this closely.

Paul Sidorsky                                          Calgary, Canada
paulsid@shaw.ca                        http://members.shaw.ca/paulsid/