[Tutor] computers

Alexandre Ratti alex@gabuzomeu.net
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 09:47:32 +0200

Hello,

At 18:50 06/06/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:47:32 -0700
>From: "Jeff Shannon" <jeff@ccvcorp.com>
>Subject: Re: [Tutor] computers

>The real advantage to multithreading is that it separates your program into
>distinct, logical tasks, making it easier to understand what's going on (if
>you're separating tasks right ;) ).  Only in very special cases does
>multithreading really help with program speed.

Could multithreading make a Web app more responsive? Here is the scheme I
have in mind: imagine a Web app where a page can be edited in a form. When
the user saves a page:
- the page is processed somehow (for instance, it is indexed);
- the page is saved to disk or in a database;
- the updated page is displayed back to the user.

=> Could the processing and the saving tasks be subcontracted to worker
threads so that the main program can return faster and the updated page is
displayed faster?

Thanks.

Alexandre