[Tutor] Where best to start? First program to: login, read from and close a serial line?

Bill Gillespie billintucson@yahoo.com
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 23:22:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

I was very happy to find this resource. I'm a new guy and am just
starting to learn to do some simple programming, and Python is my first
"real programming" language. It's very exciting!

My first programming project:
At work we have a "floor and oil temperature control system". I would
like to build a simple GUI, allowing us to interrogate, display and
change these two values:

1) OIL set point
2) FLOOR set point

The Tkinter (GUI) part looks learnable - but I don't know where to
start in terms of

--> logging into a remote machine
          (in Xterm from a Linux machine - to a sun os machine)

  --> opening a serial line on it
          (I normally just type "tip oftc" to connect <oil floor and
        temp cont>)

   --> interrogating the embedded device on it,
          (two seperate commands ask for current - or order a change)

    --> and then logging out again.
          ($. closes the connection) then I log out of the machine)

Any advice on the general idea of what should take place will be most
welcome.

Thanks much,

Bill