[Tutor] Making Python modules with C

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 23:23:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Mico Siahaan wrote:

> I followed the 'Extending and Embedding the Python Interpreter' tutorial
> from ActiveState Python documentation, but failed. I guess the tutorial
> written for Linux user or Microsoft Visual C++ (as it mentioned in
> Chapter 4 of the Tutorial). The problem is: in my Window machine I don't
> have Visual C++ (I don't have money to buy it :( ). I only have
> lcc-win32 compiler. So, anybody ever used lcc-win32 compiler to build
> Python modules.

Hi Mico,

Yikes, this sounds like a really specialized question.  You might want to
ask your question on the 'comp.lang.python' newsgroup; there are a few
compiler gurus there who can probably help you with lcc.

I did a quick scan through the Python README file, and there's a chance
that cygwin will work for you.  Cygwin is a port of the GCC tools to
Windows, and you can find out more information here:

    http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

Ah!  Take a look at the "How to Debug Python Extensions on Windows with
Open Source Tools" HOWTO:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/82826

Looks like there's no need to go for Visual C++ after all.  *grin* Anyway,
hope this helps!