[Tutor] Install failure

Jeff Shannon jeff@ccvcorp.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:07:55 -0700

Adolfo Aguirre wrote:

> Problem:
> The Python command line works, but the Pythonw.exe
> doesn4t.
>
> No window prompts argumenting errors or anything. Just
> Nothing happens when you click on it.

The pythonw.exe is not intended to be used alone -- it's intended to
run other scripts, without opening a console window.  Typically, this
is for launching scripts that have their own GUI (such as Tkinter or
wxPython scripts) -- you can type (from a DOS prompt, or at
Start-->Run) 'pythonw myscript.py', or create a shortcut with that as
the target, and your script will run without the extra blank console
window that would appear if you used python.exe instead of
pythonw.exe.  I believe (though I haven't tried it) that pythonw.exe
should even work if you drag&drop a script file onto it in Explorer.
But, since pythonw.exe has no user interface of its own, it has no
apparent effect if you just double-click on it.  (You start
pythonw.exe, it has no script to run, so it exits -- without ever
opening a window that you can see.)

Hope this makes sense.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer