[Tutor] Re: Re: How to ping

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:27:43 -0500

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 03:44:58PM -0500, kent@springfed.com wrote:
| >Is there a server listening on that port on that machine?
|=20
| Yes. If I use 'ping' from the command line I get success.

ping checks the Layer 3 connectivity.  It shows you that you have
a host<->host connection.  It doesn't check Layer 4, TCP.  You can
have host-host connectivity but still not have any programs (server)
listening on the TCP port.

| Is my code correct?

I don't know, I run /bin/ping when I need to, I don't try rewriting it
:-).

| Does it work for you?

No.  /bin/ping does, though.

| Is port 5813 the right port?

ping uses ICMP, not TCP.  ICMP doesn't have ports.

HTH,
-D

--=20

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
        Philippians 4:13
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd