[Tutor] python 2.2 configuration question

White, Mike Mike_White@isl-3com.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:37:35 -0500

I've got a question about Python configuration.  I am running Red Hat 7.3
and Gnome 1.4.  Red Hat installs version 1.5.2 and version 2.2 of Python.  I
have found that when I want to run a Python script, Red Hat will start up
version 1.5.2 by default.  If I start the script with 2.2, Python does not
see all of the modules it needs.  For instance, I have been trying to run
rpcalc, which requires Python 2.2, PyQT, and QT to be installed.  I have all
of that, but the QT stuff was installed in the 1.5.2 directory.  I copied
all of the QT stuff into the 2.2 directory and Python 2.2 sees the QT
modules ok, but stops when QT tries to call another module that I can't find
in the 1.5.2 directories.  What I'm wondering is can I configure 2.2 to see
all modules, even the ones in the 1.5.2 directories, and will they work?
Red Hat installed both Pythons at install time.  Should I delete 2.2 and
reinstall a tar ball and configure it there or is there an easier way?

Mike White