[Tutor] "Generic" GetUser

Colin Campbell ccampbell@ede.org
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:02:19 -0600

G'day, eh!

I have an Excel workbook containing many tabs of financial reports. An
autorun macro looks up the user login in a table and hides the sheets they
are not allowed to see. There are 2 obvious problems: I can't guarantee
that the macro is run, and since it makes and API call to Windows, my Mac
users are doomed.

I have found the win32wnet.WNetGetUser() in ActivePython, so that I don't
have to trust users to enable macros. This in turn means that my next trick
is to write a Python front end which handles the security, perhaps even by
copying the allowed sheets into a temporary workbook or even creating HTML,
depending on the level of my ambition.

My question is this: is there a more generic method or property that is
available across all platforms/python implementations, which will return
the network login of the person running the program?

TIA,

Colin

--
I believe that the first test of a truly great man is his humility. I do
not mean by humility, doubt of his own powers. But really great men have a