[Tutor] pair programming.

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:49:31 +0100

> I never understood why don't vi or vim have a colored or a highlighted
> bar on top or bottom that toggle between command/entry mode.

Because vi was written in the days when you only had 24 (green and black,
fixed font) lines on your console and every one was precious! If you
have room to spare you can switch on 'show mode' which displays when
you are in an 'insertion' mode on the bottom line.

This waste of space was one of the old arguments vi users used to
bash emacs - it wasted 2 lines, one for the info display line and
one for the command line - scandalous!

Alan g.
(who is just about old enough to remember...)