[Tutor] Problems with genetically engineering the Print Ogre

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:35:28 -0500

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:52:10PM -0500, Pijus Virketis wrote:
| > If that's the case, then I sure wish I could remember what the hell "set
| > builder" notation was!  That was only 13 years ago for me.  :)
|
| This is what I understand set notation to be (I am sure math gurus will do
| better):
|
| A = { x in X | x < 5}

Close.  If you want to use the ascii "in" for the symbol meaning
"element of", then

A = { x | x in X and x < 5 }

(if you have a utf-8 capable display, the "element of" symbol looks
like '∈')

| This means, "set A is composed of elements of set X, such that those
| elements are strictly less than 5." So, it tells you two things: where to
| get the elements from, and which ones to choose. Come to think of it, this
| is like an SQL querry:" FROM X SELLECT x WHERE x<5". It's quite a nice
| notation, if you ask me. :)

I agree.

-D

--

Failure is not an option.  It is bundled with the software.