[Tutor] Problems with genetically engineering the Print Ogre

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:03:00 -0500

[ sent back to the list so other readers will see that I've been
  corrected ]

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 09:46:23AM -0500, Pijus Virketis wrote:
| > | A = { x in X | x < 5}
| >
| > Close.  If you want to use the ascii "in" for the symbol meaning
| > "element of", then
| >
| > A = { x | x in X and x < 5 }
|
| I certainly don't want to press this point, but let's just say that in my
| set theory books lying on my lap right now (Woolf, Marsden), most instances
| of this notation are used in the manner I showed: with the source set of the
| elements specified before the "such that" dash. But then again, everyone
| seems to do everything their own way in math. :)

Well, if you have the book(s), then you must be right :-).  I didn't
open a book, so maybe I did get it wrong.  Maybe I've done too much
VDM-SL this quarter[1].  It is (quite) conceivable that I am mixing
various languages and notations together.  At least the notation is
understandable either way :-).

HAND,
-D

[1]  VDM-SL is a formal modelling language that has a strong basis in
     discrete math and set and sequence and map operations.

--

Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;

        Isaiah 40:31