[Tutor] MS office data to XML w/ Python?

Lee Gray leeg@sport.rr.com
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 07:09:08 -0600

Hello,

I have just started exploring Python and really like it so far.  I'd like to
ask for some pointers on a project.

I chose Python because I was looking for a cross-platform language to create
an application to store my music collection.  Currently it is in an Excel
spreadsheet and an Access database (the original idea was to put all the
spreadsheet data, plus more detail, into the database, but I lost interest in
Access and never finished).  My main goal is to escape Windows and MS Office,
but I'd still like to read the data when I have to use Windows, so I was
going to store the data in XML (which will give me an excuse to learn that
technology as well!).

I originally started to write the app in VBScript using DHTML with Internet
Explorer (as an HTA - HTML Application), simply because that's what I know
best, then once I got my data into XML, I'd work on a new application in
another language.  Well, I got fed up with fighting that language/technology
combination and started looking at Python.

So... if you're still with me, my questions are:

1. Is there already a Python application out there that I can modify that
simply stores data in XML?

2. Is there a Python app/utility that I can modify that can translate Access
and/or Excel to XML?  (I'd rather not input all my new data by hand, but I'll
only have to do it once, so I don't really feel like writing this part!)

3. Do you have any other suggestions for a complete Python newbie to get
started on this?

Thanks very much,

Lee