[Tutor] Suggestions for a good book on functional programming

Scott Widney SWidney@ci.las-vegas.nv.us
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:32:47 -0800

> Since i started python, i have been fascinated by this
> feature. Now i find
> Java very boring.
> I have found some of the discussions in tutor to to be very
> informative.
> Since most of the guys here have programmed on a pure functional
> languages before, can someone suggest a good book (haskell,
> scheme anything
> is fine)
> for the same. If i have to buy one which one w'd you recommend?
>
> Yesterday i came across a title:
>
> Introduction to Functional Programming using Haskell
> ..Bird
>
> any ideas as to whether it is good?
>
> regards,
> karthik.

This page is titled "Tutorial Papers in Functional Programming":

http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~rjmh/tutorials.html

Lots of links. The FAQ for comp.lang.functional might be helpful, too.

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh//faq.html

You should also check out Scheme (You're welcome, Danny!) if you want some
insight into functional concepts:

http://www.schemers.org/

There are some gentle introductions available there, and if you're going to
read SICP or HTDP, you're going to need a Scheme interpreter anyways. I'd
suggest PLT Scheme from Rice as good starter.

Scott