[Tutor] LaTeX output

Lloyd Hugh Allen lha2@columbia.edu
Sat, 09 Mar 2002 07:01:37 -0500

Danny Yoo wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Lloyd Hugh Allen wrote:
>
> > Anyone know a utility to output LaTeX formatted stuff in (preferably)
> > Tkinter or (less preferably) wxWindows?
>
> \begin{salutation}
> Hello!
> \end{salutation}
>
> \begin{answer}
> I did a quick search on \emph{google}, and although I haven't found
> anything connected with \emph{Python} yet, I have found this:
>
>     http://www.tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~lingnau/tkdvi/
>
> There also appears to be a \texttt{DVI-PNG} converter:
>
>     http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/star/dvi2bitmap/

Thanks--these look very close to what I want. May have to get that linux
box after all.

re:dman's response:

What I want is: I am a math teacher, and would like to write some test
generating / administering programs. I could do this by using lots of
parentheses and "raised to the 1/2"s, but my HS students don't
necessarily translate "5^(1/2)" (in their TI notation) as "sqrt(5)"
automatically in their heads. I want to have properly notated
mathematical text on the screen. LaTeX is what I understand to be the
appropriate tool for that task.

A side benefit is that my school makes heavy use of Acces databases,
which I understand to be encoded in LaTeX; and if I were to write my own
questions for these, I'd like to be able to preview them before printing
them and/or to have a python program that could generate questions
within particular paramaters and then output to the screen "Does this
question look like what you want it to?" without having to print the
question to see whether it's coded correctly and whether it's a doable,
but nontrivial question.

If any of that makes sense. Sorry if I'm incoherent.