[Tutor] telling dir(_builtins_) from dir(__builtins__) [spell checking Python?]

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:59:18 -0000

> > Eventually somebody might figure out how to make smarter
> > interpreters, until then we're stuck with it.
>
> That sounds like a challenge.  *grin*

> ###
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/tmp/python-1037YCW", line 51, in spell_check_wrapper
> NameError: global name '_builtins_' is not defined.  Perhaps
> you meant one
> of the following: '__builtins__'
> ###

Danny, you slay me! Only you would take a throwaway comment
and turn it into a spell checking interpreter!

:-)

Combined with the parameter hints already in IDLE I think this
would indeed be a worthy improvement. In fact even for the
command line interpreter in general with some tidy up and
maybe a toggle facility... Is Guido listening? (I think he
still looks after IDLE?)

Alan g