[Tutor] Total Newbie with IDLE issues...

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:53:09 -0500

On Tuesday, March 19, 2002, at 02:40  AM, binary_star wrote:

> I am learning Python on Mac OS X (10.1.3).

Salutons from a fellow OS X & Fink user!

> got Python up and running at all. I can run Python at the command line
> via
> interpreter or script file (I use NANO) without a hitch. However---long
> story short---I receive the following error when I try to run Idle:
>
> -=----------------------------------------=-
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/sw/lib/python2.2/Tools/idle/idle.py", line 4, in ?
>      PyShell.main()
>    File "/sw/lib/python2.2/Tools/idle/PyShell.py", line 747, in main
>      root = Tk(className="Idle")
>    File "/sw/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1487, in __init__
>      self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
> TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

I haven't tried to run IDLE myself, mainly because from what I
understand it requires that the Tk libraries be installed on your
system.  According to an older Apple news article, Tk has been ported to
OS X (check SourceForge.net to see how it's doing) but I haven't had
time to try to install it and get it up and running.  I have seen a
screenshot of IDLE running in OS X.  In fact, I think it was someone on
this very list who passed me the link, so if you check this list's
archives under IDLE or Tk, then you might be able to find more info.

When I get time, I plan to check it out, but for now I've been too busy
with other things, and IDLE isn't as much of a priority for me.  If you
want, I can try to dig up some more info but right now I'm just checking
email before work and will have to do it later...

Good luck!

Erik