[Tutor] Gadfly... missing?

Israel Evans israel@lith.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:49:16 -0800

Nuts!

I liked Gadfly.  It was small, simple (because it was a python thing), and
it was portable.  Now I have to figure out which of the "Big Boys" I should
fall back on.  Sometimes, it feels that the big databases are using a
backhoe when all I need is a spoon.

What do you think dman, fellow pythonistas?  Which of the "free" database
packages have you enjoyed working with?  Which python modules have you used
to connect to them?

I'm going to be working on both MacOSX and Debian with, perhaps a sprinkling
of windows if I can't avoid it, so I'd like something useable on either of
these platforms.  I'll be using the DB for webserving stuff, and your basic
educational experimentation type stuff.  Really I'll just be toying around
with python and databases and wxPython, Cocoa (when I get my hands on a
g4/g5?), and Aqua (because it's perty).

I see my choices could be between Zope, MySQL, PostgreSQL ( using cygwin ),
and possibly BerkelyDB.  What's your favorite?

Thanks,
In mourning'ly yours.

~Israel~