[Tutor] Making executable

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:37:22 -0600

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:25:08AM -0800, Tod Novak wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I'm sure this is an easy question, so I came to the experts. I'd
| like to know how to make a program (or script) executable for people
| that do not have Python installed on their machine?
|
| I'm a real newbie, so any help would be appreciated.

Best choice :
    tell them to install python

If you use a decent operating system you can simply package your
program and specify a dependency on python.  Then the system's
installer will take care of it for you and them.  (but MS Outlook
doesn't run on Debian so I don't think this is an option for you)

You can try Thomas Heller's "py2exe" or Gordon McMillan's "installer".
These are programs that take a python program and bundle it together
with python so that the end user doesn't have to know that python is
used at all.  Depending on your application, this might not be
trivial.

HTH,
-D

--

Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure;
I am clean and without sin"?