[Tutor] python and MS Access db's

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 07:23:23 -0500

On Wednesday, March 20, 2002, at 10:41  PM, dman wrote:

> | The custom web client was originally going to be designed to open up a
> | socket connection and communicate directly "in Python" with the Python
> | CGI script that would be sitting on the server with the MySQL
> | connection.
>
> This sounds like an odd architecture to me.
>
> Normally a CGI script is executed by a web server.  Input is given
> either in the environment variable QUERY_STRING or on stdin.  The
> output will be returned to the web browser, and thus ought to be some
> sort of content the browser can handle sanely.
>
> What I don't understand with the description you've given so far is
>     What sort of data do you need to move through that socket?
>     What are the purposes of each process using that socket?

Maybe I'm confused -- I was thinking to simply open the socket for
communication, and pass name/value pairs as POST requests to the CGI
script.  When I say "in Python" I simply meant "not using XMLRPC or SOAP
or whatever".  This CGI script would not be intended to be accessed by a
browser, rather a simple Python script on the user's computer --
displaying of the graphics files aren't a requirement, just passing some
information from the client machine to the server.  Perhaps opening a
socket is completely unnecessary?  I can just have the web client fire
off HTTP requests instead?  Now that I think about it, I realize that
this "in my head" scheme might not be what I think it is.

Erik