[Tutor] python and MS Access db's

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:17:16 -0000

> Maybe I'm confused -- I was thinking to simply open the socket for
> communication, and pass name/value pairs as POST requests to the CGI
> script.

Yes that's OK, its classic web client programming. There used
to be an O'Reilly book on it but I think its out of print now :-(

The only real questions are:

1) Is it an existing CGI script?
2) Will it ever be used from the web?

If the answer to either question is yes then
carry on exactly as you suggested.

If the answer to both is no then consider a dedicated
client/server solution using raw sockets - it will perform
much better. The web is many wonderful things but a good
client/server platform is not one of them....

Alan G.