[Tutor] learning Tkinter

Sheila King sheila@thinkspot.net
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:41:56 -0800

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:47:52 +0100 (CET), <mikalzet@libero.it>  wrote about
[Tutor] learning Tkinter:

> Lately I've been trying to face tkinter, but I'm finding it far harder
> than anything else, probably not because it is complicated in itself but
> because I'm not finding the type of documentation I'd like.
> In fact, seems like tkinter is almost a different language.
> On line references pore for pages and pages over dozens of options for
> each possible widget ... which is something I would like to face after
> having understood how these tie in with the rest of a program.
> Being a complete beginner I would like a tutorial to explain WHY things
> have to be written in a certain way.
> In fact the only useful type of thing I've found so far is Alan Gauld's
> chapters on event driven programming and GUI programming with tkinter.

The most useful thing I found on using Tkinter, believe it or not, was
Programming Python, 2nd Ed. by Mark Lutz. It has several chapters in the
middle of the tome that delve extensively into Tkinter. It is not a
reference, by any means. Not short, sweet and to the point. But goes into
great detail, explains every line and nuance.

I highly recommend the book, especially if you want to learn Tkinter. It
also has a lot of other good stuff, too. It's not a book for Python
beginners, really, but the Tkinter stuff is the best I found. If you're
ready to learn Tkinter, then you're ready for at least the Tkinter chapters
of Programming Python.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/