[Tutor] bar code

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:11:56 -0600

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 06:10:10AM -0800, Maximiliano Ichazo wrote:
| Does anybody has experience or know about any module to work with
| bar codes (like those in a supermarket) in Python?

The systems I've seen have a (physical) scanner that handles the
optical part of interpreting a bar code and converts the bars into
characters.  The characters are then input into the computer via a
keyboard or serial port.  When the software gets the data it can't
tell the difference between a bar code scanned automatically or a
human operator pressing keys on a keyboard or another program feeding
it data through a pipe.

Can you give any detail on how you intend to work with the bar codes?
I ask because most likely you don't have to do anything different at
the python level than you would for manual input via keyboard.

HTH,
-D

--

All a man's ways seem innocent to him,