[Tutor] Python & windows XP professional

Pijus Virketis virketis@fas.harvard.edu
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 00:48:08 -0500

Ike,

> of the way I would say to you that you are the first person I know of to
use
> python on XP. (This is because the XP'rs I know dont want to program, and
the
> programmers I know dont want XP), so although I can't be of any real help

I had replied to Robert's original querry about XP and Python in private,
since this did not strike me as a topic of wide general interest. But now I
would like to mention that I have indeed run Python 1.5.2, 2.1 and 2.2 on
XP, along with MySQL and Apache for development, and everything is working
just fine out of the box. While I agree in principle with your scepticism
about Micro$oft, in fairness one has to grant that XP is orders of magnitude
more stable than any of the previous consumer Windows incarnations. Of
course, stability is not everything, and I cannot, for instance, figure out
how to get rid of the accursed MS Messenger, plus a bunch of other things,
but that's most certainly a subject for another day and a different list. :)

Cheers,

Pijus