[Tutor] Revving up Tkinter/PMW

Isaac Hall hall@nhn.ou.edu
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:12:50 -0600

hi tutors, gurus, and newbies alike!

I have a question that has been eating at my sould for the past few weeks
(well, not quite eating, maybe sipping?).  Anyway, Im building a rather large
monitoring application that is supposed to take in a rather large ammount of
data (~10,000 objects....scalers, histograms, circular buffers(ie, pie charts),
and bitmasks) and display them graphically, and to be updated somewhere on the
order of once every 5 to 10 seconds.  Anyway,  Ive been working on this rather
on and off for the past few months and learning python (and SWIG) as I go, so
I don't feel like Im fully aware of many of the methods available for creating
faster graphics in python/Tkinter/PMW, and I haven't seen much in the way of
books and such that help in this area.  Currently, the graphics are displayed
in a multi-layered(tabbed) PMW notebook, and I was wondering this:

Is there any way to make the thing only update the page that is being viewed?

OR

Is there any way to make a composite picture of many pictures be drawn faster
(like maybe if it drew the whole thing in memory before putting it on the
screen?)

OR

is there any way to make python/tkinter update several pages SIMULTANEOUSLY??

anyway, I havent been able to find much help in these areas, so I thought I
would ask all of you, since Im almost sure someone has dealt with something
like this before.

Thanks alot

Ike