[Tutor] Beginner books and tutorials

john public apython101@yahoo.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:07:10 -0800 (PST)

--0-1831701401-1017450430=:85503

  I am a begginer and the books that are helping me the most are Alan Gaulds book and How to think like a computer scientist. Both available from the Python website.  After I have read those through three times or so and type in all the code three times or so, I am then looking into Learning Python. After having gone through several tutorials it seems to me that authors fall into two categories. Those that are people that write code and people that teach classes for a living. The styles are different. At first I found the only tutorials that made sense were written by teachers. It's slowly sinking in and I am finding the tutorial that are written by non teachers work for me now also. At this point I can't articulately describe the difference except to say that they flow differently and have a different focus. I switch back and forth depending on my mood. I think perhaps the most valuable tool is this thread. Ask a question, get an awnser, or ten or twenty awnsers. :)
John
  Eric Marin <emarin@justice.com> wrote: Hi, folks. I am presently trying to teach myself
Python with no programming background at all. I am
using Josh Cogliati's "Non-Programmer's Tutorial for
Python" right now, and I'm just finishing Chapter 10:
Boolean Expressions. After I finish the tutorial, I'd
like to know where to go next for a tutorial or book to
continue the learning process. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Eric Marin