[Tutor] command line

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:36:22 -0600

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 11:03:35AM -0600, Cameron Stoner wrote:
| hi all,
|
| Why would you use the command line Python instead of the IDLE?

'cause it's the way to go <wink>

I don't know about you, but I'm a unix fan.  Unix shells allow
starting a text file with "#!/path/to/interpreter" to make the file a
script that is executed by the given interpreter.  When I make a
script, I use this technique so that it "just works".  I also use the
shell a lot (X exists primarily for having many shell windows and a web
browser :-), and to have little penguins running around in the
background while xmms cranks out some tunes).  For me, typing
"python foo.py" is the quickest and most natural way to run a script
that either doesn't have the "shebang" line or doesn't have the
executable bit set.  I also use (g)vim as my preferred editor.  It, in
conjunction with every unix utility I am familiar with, comprise my
IDE.

IDLE has no advantages for me.  If I want an interactive interpreter,
I'll just run "python" in my shell.  I get the same shell I'm familiar
with (with GNU readline too!) in the same gnome-terminal window I'm
familiar with.  (the window already exists too)  If I want to edit
files, I'll use vim for quick editing inside a terminal, or gvim for
extended editing.

I understand, though, that people with a windows background are often
unfamiliar with the "command line" and want a nice-looking window to
work with.  In addition, many windows users underestimate the
usefulness and power of a text editor and may not even be familiar
with the term "text editor".  IDLE provides both of these things for
that target audience.

-D

--

After you install Microsoft Windows XP, you have the option to create
user accounts.  If you create user accounts, by default, they will have