[Tutor] command line

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:09:13 -0600

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 10:41:11AM -0800, Kirby Urner wrote:
| At 10:12 AM 3/30/2002 -0800, Kirby Urner wrote:
|
| >environment.  Maybe it's different in Win2k, where uparrow
| >history is somehow available.

| For example, in IDLE I can scroll up to any previous line
| and select it, hit enter, and get a copy available for
| editing (that's great for re-executing some function
| with lots of args, just changing one of 'em).  The mouse
| lets me go directly to any line in the history; I don't
| have to arrow through all commands in between.
|
| And when I enter a quick and dirty function or class
| definition right in the shell (becomes 2nd nature when
| it's easy to do -- might just be a simple loop to do
| something in a module several times) I can modify the
| whole thing as a block -- it gets copied down as a
| whole.  The DOS box shell doesn't do that, not in XP,
| not in any Win* -- probably not in Linux either (although
| I haven't restored my dual boot setup on the upstairs
| box since the hard drive upgrade, so I can't double
| check that now).  Perhaps dman will let us know.

Python uses the GNU readline library just like bash and any other
decent shell.  If I am writing a block of code in the interactive
interpreter, I'll fire up gvim and write the code there and
copy-n-paste it to the interpreter.  With X, copy-n-paste is even more
convenient than in windows.

-D

--

(A)bort, (R)etry, (T)ake down entire network?