[Tutor] command line

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:46:29 -0600

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 01:39:02PM -0800, Kirby Urner wrote:
| At 10:56 AM 3/30/2002 -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
|
| >no, the python shell is just a shell like bash.  IDLE does have
| >some of those nifty IDE features people used to Window's coding
| >expect.
|
| Nifty IDE features are not specific to Windows (nor is IDLE).

Do you know of any non-windows IDEs that have these features?  (apart
from IDLE since I assume that has the same features everywhere it is)
New converts to *nix often ask (in deb-user at least) where the IDEs
are and why it's so hard to find a fully functional/stable IDE.  The
usual answer is "unix _is_ an IDE -- pick your (advanced) editor and
learn the rest of the OS for the full effect".

| In my experience, pro programmers appreciate time-saving
| and productivity-enhancing features,

Right.

| and Windows has no monopoly on these.

Given that stability and reliability are, IMHO, the most critical
time-saving and productivity-enhancing features, that's an
understatement.  <wink> <duck>

| >The important lesson to walk away with is this: if you are not
| >using an interactive python interpreter while coding and
| >experimenting you are missing out on one of the key benefits
| >python offers.
|
| This I heartily agree with.

I don't know anyone who doesn't :-).

-D

--

"640K ought to be enough for anybody" -Bill Gates, 1981