[Tutor] OOPs?

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:52:08 -0800

At 04:28 PM 3/30/2002 -0500, Erik wrote:

>I'm curious -- how long did it take you to come up with
>this module?  Although I'm new to programming, even still
>I think it would have taken me a long time to come up
>with something like this.
>
>Just curious,

I'm glad you found the code useful Erik.  I learned
something too.  I don't usually code menu loops around
raw_input, so this helped me explore doing that, and
I haven't used the shelve module a lot (to achieve
persistence -- shelve uses pickle and some generic
dbm, whatever the system supports, in the background).

So there was some pausing to read docs re shelve and
then I went back and recoded a bit to make the data
live in a dictionary during the menu loop.  Lots of
testing and reloading in IDLE as I debugged.  So all
told I'd say 45 mins to an hour, something like that.
But time flies when you're having fun -- coulda been
longer.

Kirby